You should Train Slower, if your ultimate goal is to Run Faster.
When you Race or set a PB you may not realize this but you’re putting tremendous stress on your bones, muscles, tendons and ligaments. (This is one of the reasons why you tend to feel more tired after a Race then a Long Distance Slow Run). Also, there is a high risk factor involved if you are racing too often.
It is advisable to limit the number of times you run hard if your long-term goal is to run for years without any pain or injury.
Advantages of Training Slow,
1) You can run more often and cover more mileage per week.
2) You are allowing your muscles to get enough oxygen thereby reducing the risks of injury.
3) You are “Actively” Recovering from those Hard Runs and you may not have to take a day off from running. 👍🏼
So, it is OKAY to Run Slow – especially when you are training for a Long Distance Race (Half or Full Marathon). In fact 80% of my training Runs are designed to be at Slow/Easy Pace and remaining 20% include the Intervals, Fartleks or Tempo Runs (i.e. not more than one Hard Run per week).
You don’t have to compete with any one else. If your goal is to stay FIT then you must build yourself slow and steady. 🙏🏼 Make sure you plan your training runs accordingly – to include a lot of “Slow” running and register for Races only if they are evenly spaced out.
Happy “injury-free” Running 😃
Running has taught me that I’m capable of so much more than I ever imagined.
Trust me, running can work wonders for you and your body.
Imagine that day when you can finally say “I did it”, when you can say “I never gave up, I never quit”, where these moments of pain turn into memories and your dreams become reality.
It may take long to reach that moment, but as soon as you get there you’ll thank yourself for the rest of your life.
All you got to do is Start, Today.
Are you an efficient runner? 🤔
Running + Strength Training = Stronger Muscles + Faster Runs – Injuries
If you want to be an efficient runner you have to work on your core & leg muscles and be less prone to injuries. (especially if you are a Full or Half Marathoner) 🏃🏻♂️🏃🏻♀️
Consider supplementing running with strength training exercises. Your training plan must include specific set of exercises that enhances your running skills. 💪🏼
It will help prevent injuries, and make you stronger, faster, and more efficient runner.
My strength training includes mostly Bodyweight Exercises. I don’t need a Gym nor any specific equipment to do these. I prefer doing them at Home or in any open area surrounded by greens ☘️
Let’s HUSTLE. Be the change.
Tempo Run: A secret ingredient in a Half or a Full Marathon training plan.
You want to go FAST? Go Tempo!
By including these workouts in your training plan, you’ll gain both Speed and Strength overtime. Tempo Runs have an excellent training effect and should be included in any Half or Full Marathon training plan.
If you cannot sustain a FAST pace for a long period of time then start with 15-20 minutes of Tempo Run and progressively increase the mileage as and when you know you can go longer.
Tempo Runs are not Hard Runs, these are FUN! So, keep calm and stay relaxed, and with the right training you’ll be mentally ready to finish a successful Tempo run.
Here’s the journey on how I got from Goal setting to go-getting in the 15th edition of Tata Mumbai Marathon.
✓ Improve on my previous best Marathon timing of 03:53:06
✘ Go for a sub 03:40:00 Marathon (missed this one by 3 minutes and 43 seconds)
Completed 73 out of 76 planned sessions and skipped 3 Long Distance runs.
Training Plan – TMM 2018
Race Day Results
42.2 kms in 03:43:43
Although I missed a Goal this year, I achieved another.
For me it’s not just about achieving goals – that is something I can always try again and again. More important to me is – to be better than I was yesterday.
A failed goal is success in progress.
It feels good when you Run Hard and Finish Strong. I finished the Tata Mumbai Marathon 18′ in 03:43:43 beating my previous best by 9 minutes and 23 seconds.
Now it’s time to recover, celebrate and plan for the next year.
R U N E N D S R U N N I N G D O E S N ‘ T